Our crust recipe is adapted from our friend Cho at www.qiuqiufood.com. Check her blog out, she makes some amazing food.
Easy Sous Vide Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Curd Filling
- 5 Large Egg Yolks
- 3/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice strained
- 3 Lemon Zests
- 6 tbsp Butter melted & cooled
- 1 cup Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tsp Gelatin bloomed in 2 tbsp cold water
- 180 g Cold Butter cubed
- 200 g All Purpose Flour
- 40 g Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Egg whisked
- 5 Large Egg Whites
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/2 tsp Corn Starch
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat the sous vide water bath to 165F (74C).
- Preheat the oven to 425F (220C).
- To begin the crust, place the flour, sugar, and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add in cubed butter and pulse until small chunks are formed. You don’t want to over mix here. Drizzle in the cold water, and pulse a few times again until mixed in.
- Remove from the mixer onto a floured surface. Kneed a few times until it comes together.
- Form a disk with the dough, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is resting. Blend the egg yolks, sugar, zest, salt, and butter until well combined.
- While the blender is running on low, add the lemon juice and blend until combined.
- Add the bloomed gelatin; and do a couple of quick blitz
- Pour into a freezer bag or vacuum bag.
- Using the water placement method, remove the air from the bag.
- Sous vide the mixture for 1 hour.
- Back to the crust, take it out of the fridge, unwrap, and place on a well floured surface.
- Roll out until it is approximately 11”.
- Place in the 9” pie dish and press in.
- Fold or cut any excess crust and crimp the edges.
- Cut parchment paper into a circle to cover the inside of the pie crust.
- Using foil, line the inside of the crust as well. Easiest if you make the shape and press it in.
- Fill with beans or pie weights
- Bake the pie crust for 15 mins.
- Take the crust out of the oven, remove the beans, foil, and parchment paper.
- Using a fork, dock the bottom portion of the crust.
- Brush with the egg.
- Place back into the oven and bake until golden brown (approximately 20 mins), remove and set aside to cool once done.
- Remove the lemon filling from the sous vide and set aside to cool.
- Pour the lemon filling into the pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate until set or overnight.
- Once the pie has set, it’s time to make the meringue. Make sure the equipment you’re using is very clean. It’s best to wipe it down with a paper towel and vinegar.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat for a double boiler.
- In the stand mixer bowl, add the egg whites and sugar.
- Place over the sauce pan (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl) and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. It’s done when there are no more grains when rubbed with your fingers.
- Transfer the bowl to the mixer, and whisk on medium until the eggs are white and foamy. At this point, add the cornstarch, cream of tartar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Turn up the speed to medium-high, and whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
- To assemble, remove the pie from the fridge once it’s set. Spoon on the meringue, making sure to cover all of the filling up to the crust. Pile high and using the back of a spoon or other utensil create the swirls and peaks.
- Using a blow torch on low, brown the outside of the meringue. Alternatively, you can broil it in the oven for a few mins until browned. Careful not to burn it with either method.
- Slice and serve.