Sous vide poached pears and creme anglaise make for the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert. Super simple, and made to impress, it tops our list of sous vide desserts. Infused with asian inspired spices, served with a nice creme anglaise (a nice fancy way to say melted ice cream) it’s the perfect combination of flavours – it is sweet, salty, and fragrant all at the same time.
Sous vide allows for the spices to infuse into the pear without having to poach it in a pot of liquid. Best of all, it requires almost no prep time and you can sous vide both the poached pear and creme anglaise at the same time (185F (85C)/1-3h). You can serve this sous vide poached pear and creme anglaise both hot or cold – So make it ahead or serve it immediately.
Sous Vide Poached Pear with Creme Anglaise
Infused with asian inspired spices, served with a nice creme anglaise (a nice fancy way to say melted ice cream) it’s the perfect combination of flavours. It is the perfect balance of sweet, salty, fragrant. You can serve this sous vide poached pear and creme anglaise both hot or cold – So make it ahead or serve it immediately.
Servings: 2 people
- 2 Bosc Pears
- 3 inch Cinnamon
- 9-10 pods Green Cardamom cracked
- 2 inch Ginger slice
- 1 Star Anise
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 50 mL Warm Water
- 1 Mace
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Mint Leaves
- Ground Cinnamon
- Set water bath to 185F (85C)
- Peel pears, core using a paring knife or melon spoon
- Add cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, star anise, nutmeg, honey, brown sugar, water, and mace if using into a vacuum bag. Carefully place pears in the bag.
- In a blender add, egg yolk, cream, vanilla, and sugar
- Pour into a bag, or glass jar. If using a jar, tighten the lid finger tight.
- Sous vide the pears and creme anglaise for 1 – 3 hours depending on ripeness. Check on the pears periodically, by giving them a little squeeze. They are done once soft to the touch.
- Remove both the pears and creme anglaise from the water bath.
- You can chill to serve later or immediately. It works as both a hot or cold dessert.
- When ready to serve, whip creme anglaise or blitz again in the blender for 3 seconds to liquify.
- Pour the creme anglaise into a shallow plate
- Place pear in the middle
- Top with sea salt, mint leaves, and cinnamon if using. This step is completely optional or can be replaced with dressings of your choosing. Basil and balsamic glaze may be alternative options.